Almost all media outlets have spread the message of the importance of purchasing organic items. This goes beyond food to clothing, bags, and dozens of other items. Though most people have learned that they should buy organic, many are not exactly aware of what qualifies an item to be labeled as organic. To be considered organic, an item must be grown or made without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation. Animals that produce organic food are not given antibiotics or growth hormones. There are three different categories that are used to label organic items:

Organic Vegetables

1. 100% organic items are made with 100% organic ingredients.
2. Organic items have at least 95% organic ingredients.
3. Made with organic ingredients means the item is made with a minimum of 70% organic ingredients with strict restrictions on the remaining 30% including no GMOs.

Organic charcoal face mask

Any item with less than 70% organic ingredients cannot make claims of being organic on the front of the package, but may list these ingredients on the side panel. Opting for organic products are better for your health as well as for the health of the environment. It allows you to avoid chemicals that are present in many foods grown commercially. Further, farms that grow organic food support the preservation of the environment. Soil in such farms are healthy and do not put chemicals into the ecosystem. This protects wildlife and their habitats in addition to reducing the amount of pollution in waterways.

Aside from food, there many other products that you can look to buy organically. Gardening supplies, body care products, fibers, and cosmetics. Therefore those who are looking to make a push into buying into the organic market have plenty to choose from. Jutemill is proud to offer items such as our burlap, activated charcoal, jute twine, and table runners for organic d├ęcor, gardening, or crafting needs. Visit us today.